Friday, September 21, 2012

Getting Back to Healthy Eating!

In my last post, I was gearing up to start another 4 month marathon training program. I was all ready to go, then a bout of strep 3 weeks later changed my plans. What first started out as strep throat, turned into a severe intestinal infection from the antibiotics then strep again! I was out of training for almost 5 weeks and realized there was no way I could safely catch up without risking a serious injury. It just wasn't worth it this time around. So after sulking a few days, I realized God obviously had other plans for me and I needed to heal and maybe take a step back for a while. Now after recovering for a few weeks, I am feeling great and even ran 12 miles a few days ago no problem! It felt amazing!

Let me just start by saying I have had a wonderful summer with my family. We've made so many memories and had two awesome vacations, the first to Disney in May and a beach trip to Seaside just a week ago. Many who know me well, know that I have made it a priority to eat well and exercise in the last few years, allowing me to lose weight and keep it off for a while too. Well, as great of a time as I had on my trips, I have completely let my healthy eating habits go out the window and have settled into some not so healthy patterns in my diet. Vacations are meant for having a good time and eating treats and food you may not usually eat at home. But for me, my vacation eating continued from May up until now! Whereas before, I ate very strict (south beach phase 1) 5 days a week and allowed myself two cheat days a week, I more recently have done the opposite and have had 5 cheat days and 2 healthy eating days! lol Those darn Gigis cupcakes and Las Delicias chips and cheese dip have finally caught up with me! So here I am 16 pounds heavier than I was in May and no clothes that fit...time to get back to it!

I completely agree with people out there that claim maintaining weight or losing pounds is 70% diet and 30% exercise. I mean, I run 28-30 miles a week and go to the gym 3 days a week and still gained all those pounds! I will say I am very carb sensitive (anyone with PCOS and insulin resistance like myself with attest to that!), but I also cannot deny that I have eaten way to many desserts and cereal (I could eat a whole box in a day if given to chance!). So here I am, I know what to do, I know how I should eat (and what my body responds best too), and with determination, accountability and some real diet changes, I can get a hold of these annoying pounds that have snuck up on me and be healthy again!

What's my plan?

Well, I know I have to stay away from most all carbs in order for me to lose weight and keep it off. I plan on going back to south beach phase 1, because it is not too drastic and there are so many easy and quick meals and snacks that I love. After a couple weeks on phase 1, I'll carefully go back to my one cheat meal (not cheat day) a week and see what happens from there. This time around, I have joined a fitness group through my gym 24 Fitness and I am so excited to encourage and be encouraged by women who are like minded and wanting to get fit!

As far as working out, I of course will keep my weekly mileage as before and I am training for a very hilly half marathon in NC December 1. I would love to change up my circuit training and weight lifting on my off days though, so I will be adjusting some of my routine after I meet with the girls at the gym.

As always, my main focus is being healthy inside and out and taking care of the body God has graciously blessed me with!

No comments:

Post a Comment